Thursday, March 15, 2007

"Debunking Christianity"

I came across an article as I was blog-surfing. I feel perturbed by this author's article not just because he represents a group of ex-Christians, but because he vehemently believes Christianity, in short, is a waste of time and a Christian life is devoid of "living to the fullest." His essay brings up all sorts of examples of how Christianity gives false hope and that people living the Christian faith have a fragmented sense of autonomy over their own life.

This guy is an eloquent writer and is not disrespectful. I include his blog here and invite Christians and non-Christians to mull over.

This author is intelligent and by no means do I despise what he says. He has every right to his thoughts and feelings -- as God intended. I am mystified by the fact that someone had devoted a large portion of his life to follow Christ and seems to know the faith inside and out, only to reject it later and devote a blog to announce to the world how and why he debunks Christianity.

My struggle here is not within myself, but is knowing that I have friends who probably think exactly as he does. In general, I don't believe that I can't live my life to the fullest because I am Christian. On the contrary, I think I am not living my life to the fullest, filled by God's grand plans for me, because I hold myself back on feelings of guilt, worry, or bitterness. These feelings are brought on by ME, and not by God as the author suggests. I don't feel disillusioned by my faith and I don't think Christians are cheated out of a full life because of the path they chose. Truly, I love life and all that God has blessed me with, the good and the bad. It is through the good that I can taste the glory of God and a bit of Heaven, and it is through the bad that I learn and grow as a hopeful human being in this dismal, carnal, hedonistic world.

I am sad that the author of "Debunking Christianity" feels the way he does. I think he has forgotten that Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship. In his definition of living life to the fullest belies a selfish desire for life that disregards the effect of our living on others. Not that he will not be helpful and good to those around him, but he pushes aside the fact that our lives are intertwined with others (our actions affect others in ways we may not know) and ultimately and inevitably intertwined with our Maker. We are not bound by rules, but we obey God's statutes because we have a vested interest in that relationship to him and when someone loves us as much as God does, we should want to do and think in what is best for that relationship.

My faith is inexplicable through words alone, so I hope that you will have tea, coffee, bubble tea, or something with me and give me a chance to show you the wonderful hope that I have in life with God.

No comments: