Monday, July 15, 2013

Milan, Day 1


Today, I encountered a lot of interesting, but mainly negative, experiences. First, my sister and friend got frisked at the airport because my sister forgot to take her money belt off. This was strange because I went through with my belt on and there was no issue.

When traveling with EasyJet Airlines, we knew that there would be a carry-on limit. Each passenger had to place their luggage in a box to show that their carry-on was within limits. My sister and friend breezed through security no problem, but as soon as I put my backpack in, almost immediately the customs officer told me to re-pack my bag to fit it into the box. I scrambled to do so and unfortunately I had to sacrifice my Girl Guide cookies to make more room (yeah, I brought that much...haha). Thankfully, I passed the second time (barely), but there were a few people who ended up being forced to check in their bag. One lady behind me was able to fit her suitcase into the box, but the customs officer said that she pushed it in "with force." After much arguing, the lady ended up having to check in her bag.

When we tried to buy train tickets at the Central train station, we were approached by "extra friendly and helpful" men. These guys were like wolves; they work in packs as they seek out tourists and try to help them buy tickets. Of course, they expect "commission" for their services. Being as naive as I am, I almost followed one to the ticket station, thinking, "Wow, Italians are so nice!" But, just as I started to realize that this guy wasn't wearing a uniform, my friend called out to me and told the guys, "No," quite firmly before grabbing me and walking away. When my sister and friend tried to buy tickets from the ticket stations, I stood guard facing the men. I watched them work and found many people rejecting them. As we obtained our tickets and headed for the door, one lone tourist was utilizing the wolves' service.

I didn't find Milan as picturesque as I thought it would be and by the end of the day, if the heat alone didn't drive us mad, the mosquitoes certainly did the job.

But, naturally, I need to count my blessings. Our apartment in Milan is very spacious and lovely. The majority of the people are genuinely helpful. Our first Italian meal was scrumptious: Risotto alla Milanese; Reale pizza with fresh mozzarella, Parma ham, and fresh porcine; and lasagne that looked more like a panini (but tasted so delicious). Finally, my Gelato was shaped into a flower.






1 comment:

PDDR said...

Hey Tree
I love the pictures - it looks like a blast. That Lasagna looks delicious - must have been pretty cheesy.
I am sure they missed you here at VBS last night but we are all glad you could have this experience. Enjoy your time
You are in our prayers -
Dan